Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Leaders who aren't the center of it all

In the business book, Good to Great, the authors talk about some key ideas that resonate with my experiences at different companies. The section I'm currently reading talks about the question of leadership, specifically the top dog/CEO. The following little excerpt really struck me as especially pertinent as leaders try to "find" the magic formula for success:

The moment a leader allows himself to become the primary reality people worry about, rather than reality being the primary reality, you have a recipe for mediocrity, or worse. This is one of the key reasons why less charismatic leaders often product better long-term results than their more charismatic counterparts.

Indeed, the best leaders I've worked with were less concerned with being the business messiah for the organization and giving the right answers, and more concerned with good people, great people placement and meaningful discussion.

So far, this has been a very interesting read, and I'm glad to recommend it.

No comments: