Sunday, March 06, 2011

Marathon #2 - Napa Valley

running apps

After last fall’s adventure in Long Beach, I felt compelled to make another try at a marathon. And it seemed like it might be nice to have some type of training goal to work on over the winter season. So, after a bit of research looking at reviews on Racevine and exchanging ideas/brainstorms with running friends on Twitter and DailyMile, I decided that it would be fun to try out the Napa Valley Marathon on March 6, 2011.

This point-to-point marathon was situated through the heart of wine country, from Calistoga to Napa. Elevation decreased a few hundred feet from start to finish, and the course included beautiful views of vineyards and rolling valleys.

As the event neared, it became apparent that it was going to be a rainy (but not cold) race day. Yikes! As a spoiled Northern CA resident, I was known for being a little wimpy when it comes to rain. Plus the course had a lot of rolling hills. Oh, my. This was going to be interesting. And, of course, I was still very much a beginner marathoner, and not exactly a speedy runner. In the end, however it all went well. Woo hoo!

Decked out in a garbage bag poncho, I rode the bus with fellow DailyMiler Greg P. from our hotel to the starting line. We chatted about training and race strategy and tried not to notice how long the bus ride was – yes, you really get a sense for how LONG a marathon was when you ride the bus to the start. :)

This race gave runners the option to have custom drinks at the various aid stations (as if we all were elite runners – awesome!). As race organizers promised, I was able to quickly find the boxes for the correct stations at the start line and put two different bottles with my own little mixture for the stations at miles 9 and 17. Plus I had a third bottle with me – again with a mix of unflavored Sustained Energy mix.

There were plenty of porta potties along the start, and after taking care of business; it was time to line up. I did some chatting with Tamara, Chris, Lisa and Mark as we waited for the announcement that it was time to start! The fast folks in our group moved toward the front of the line. Because this race limited the number of registrants to 2400, it was refreshingly not overcrowded at the start, and there wasn’t the confusion that I’ve experienced at really large events.

From miles 1 to 7, Lisa and I took a steady, conservative approach to the run, hovering around 10:35 pace for 10 minutes, then walking for 1 minute. Just as we approached the mile 7 aid station, we parted ways. I loved having the company for the early portion of the race and tried not to stress out about all of the people passing us. After all I wanted to be careful not to make the mistake of my first marathon, where I started out too quickly and maxed my HR way too early.

At almost 3 hours into the race, my pace started to gradually get slower during my running segments. I still held to doing these every 10 minutes, but I was definitely slowing down. Then around 4 hours into the race, I was really starting to feel the pain, so I extended the walk breaks and added extra ones, usually around every 5 minutes.

Throughout the whole race, I was also very careful to generously drink my Sustained Energy and take gels frequently. I brought my own supply of gels and then took one offered at the mile-18 station. Last year, at my first marathon, I really felt like my nutrition had been lacking, which probably helped contribute to my “hitting the wall” experience so early in the race (at mile 18).

The rain was pretty steady most of the race, with occasional ‘lulls’ where it faded to sprinkling. I kept on my garbage bag poncho until mile 21, and was teased a little for it by the spectators – all in good fun. I was glad to have worn it however, as it helped keep me comfortable without feeling overheated. Worked much better than my rain jacket, which would have been too warm.

If you’re someone that craves a lot of crowd support, this rural race was not the one for you. It was held on the Silverado Trail road that weaves through winery valleys – very beautiful, but only accessible every few miles. That being said, every time there was a place where people could access the course, they were there, and they were very supportive and friendly. Many of them would literally go from spot to spot on the course, and I actually had ongoing conversations with several spectators, as they reappeared at accessible each location – so fun. Also, the volunteers at the aid stations were very helpful and enthusiastic – their friendly cheering and encouragement were greatly appreciated.

When I finally made those last turns to the finish area at Vintage High School, I was so happy to be there. I hadn’t been watching my overall time, just keeping track of the 10/1 intervals and pace and focusing on doing as much as I could with whatever energy I had throughout. So it was really great to see the time clock as I finished, showing 5:08-ish. I knew that my pace had slowed as the race went on, and with the extra walk breaks I wasn’t sure where I was going to end up. I certainly couldn’t have predicted a 23-minute PR (personal record) this time around, but that’s what happened. :)

  • Chip time 5:08:37
  • Garmin time (hit stop slightly after crossing) 5:08:50
  • Garmin distance 26.41 miles
  • Runner perks: technical shirt, awesome bag with great goodies, very nice medal and the ability to have custom drinks at the aid stations of your choice
  • More awesomeness: Official race results on their Website within an hour after the race was complete!
  • Highly recommended event

13 comments:

Docrunner @Tri2Thrive said...

Awesome PR!! I liked your strategy. I'm planning on trying to run the mile and walk at every water station, but will likely have to shorten my run interval like you did.

Ian Chitson said...

Great race report Tanya, Congratulations on your PR. Love the fact you can have custom drinks at the stations.

Laura O'Shea said...

I am so proud of you. You did awesome. I was concerned about the rain. Glad you figured something out that wasn't too hot. Did Dave support you/cheer for you?

Sheila said...

Great blog post and way to stick with it. Even though your pace was slowing you had a good plan and adjusted to the circumstances. Your training was just so awesome and you can tell it helped a lot in your race.

naomi said...

Congratulations Tanya! I'm so happy for you! What a great accomplishment! I have heard nothing but good things about this race, however, I have heard that they are strict about the no music policy. Do you run with music? If so, is that true?

Tanya said...

Hi, Laura - Dave came up with me this weekend and was my recovery support :) Thank goodness!
Naomi - they are very strict about the no music rule, from what I could tell. I believe this is because it is a championship race for RRCA. I didn't see anyone running the course with headphones. I have spent a lot of time training without music, so I was OK with this, though it might have been helpful at miles 22 & 23. ;)

Glenn Jones said...

Congratulations Tanya! Be careful though. You *may* have caught the dreaded disease marathonitis......

Tanya said...

LOL You may be right, Glenn

Liza Mou said...

Hi.
My first visit to your site.Your site offers valuable information.I am very impressed to watch your KEYWORD and products. Your site is very nice.I like you and your site.Join in the conversation as Scott Williams profiles his favorite sports agents Dan Lozano and the players they represent! Subscribe to the DanLozan.com blog Today
Dan Lozano
Danny Lozano

Payel dew said...

Hi.
You have done really very good site. Great work, great site.Your site offers valuable information and good looking.I am very impressed to watch your keyword and description.I hope that you can improve. Success you will wait the next day.
Dan Lozano
Danny Lozano
baseball sports agent
sports agent

Ratna Mondol said...

Hello Dear,
I am looking your site fantastic. Your site almost valuable information. so I am very impressed to watch your site information. Your site is very beautiful. I like you and your site. Welcomes all guys to watch and know. Guys come on and look my offering site details - American lease options where we help people acquire a home when the banks say no! With Foreclosures as high as they are, with job losses and the resulting damage to personal credit off the charts there are more people than ever who have damaged credit but who still need and want a home of their own. You're invited. Thanks .

real estate
real estate for sale
lease option
lease to purchase
lease to own
real estate Memphis Tennessee
real estate Jackson Tennessee
real estate Nashville Tennessee

Dick and Lenay said...

Dick and Lenay

Lose Weight, Weight Loss, Diet, Weight Management, Natural Weight loss these are correct for blog.dickandlenay.com - I want "Natural Weight Loss" to be the main keyword.This blog is about losing weight naturally.

Mukti Rani said...

Dear friend's, You are most welcome and you are invited to A Natural Approach To Health. We are provide here Living Healthy, a natural approach to health tips.I think, Living Healthy, a natural approach to health Tips will need all people, We are said to all friend, will get more Healthy tips just follow bellow
living with,autism
healthy-living
supplements
vitamins minerals
wellness
swollen ankles
swollen feet
neuropathy
tingling
fatigueliving with